Solar Power South West
Rooftop solar systems are helping the South West of WA residents save money and reduce pollution, all while adding value to their homes. With all the advantages a solar installation provides, it’s easy to see why they’re so popular.
How Does Solar Power Work?
Grid-Connected Solar PV Systems
Rooftop solar panels convert sunlight into electricity. The solar inverter converts the electricity into 240V electricity for your use.
Home appliances will use electricity from the solar power system, and then draw electricity from the grid if needed. Depending on what type of system you install, if you produce excess unused power, this is returned to the grid and you will receive a credit on your bill!
5 Reasons Why to Install a Rooftop Solar Power System:
1. Protect From Rising electricity costs
Your rooftop solar system will continue to generate free electricity, year after year. This means you can relax knowing that solar power is looking after your air conditioning, pool heating, lighting and more.
2. Return on Investment
A rooftop solar investment means you can save money on your electricity bill. An average return on your initial investment is around 20% – 35% each year (depending on your use).
3. Australian Government Incentives
The Australian Federal Government’s Small Small-Scale Renewable Energy Scheme (SRES) provides money towards the purchase cost of your solar power system. Once installed the WA based Feed-In Tariff Scheme pays you for any excess electricity you generate and don’t use. This means you use a renewable energy source that not only saves you money, but can make you money!
4. Increase the value of your property in the South West
Homes with rooftop solar systems installed have been proven to attract a higher sale cost compared to less efficient homes. With rising energy costs, and a shift to a greener environment, buyers are increasingly focusing on energy efficiency when considering which home to purchase. Solar panels can increase the value of your home, its competitiveness and increase its marketability.
5. Help save the planet
Power stations are powered by burning coal, one of the biggest sources of carbon pollution. The renewable energy generated via your own solar panel system means that you will purchase less electricity from the grid. So, by installing your own rooftop solar system you can help to reduce your carbon footprint while taking pressure off your wallet.
Why You Should Consider Installing Solar Before You Build
How to Maximise Your Rooftop Solar System Down South
To increase your return on investment and reduce your payback period, there are a few simple tips you can implement to make your home energy efficient:
- Planned Usage: Use electricity at times when your solar system is producing electricity. This might include using the timers on devices, such as your washing machine, dryer, dishwasher or pool pumps, to make sure they are only working when your power production is peaking during the day.
- Air Conditioning: Set a timer on your air conditioner so that it comes on before you get home to cool your home down and then reduce your usage as the night goes on.
- Energy Efficient: Purchase energy efficient home appliances. Install energy efficient lighting – ask us about My Lights that can be installed to your existing or new home.
- Home Cooling: Shade East and West windows from the sun with good window furnishings or even plant a shady tree– these will prevent heat gain in summer and reduce air con use. Perhaps add a roof extraction fan to remove heat from the hot ceiling space.
- Upgrades: Upgrade your air conditioning system, did you know that a 10-year-old system can easily be only half as efficient as a new model.
- Insulation: Make sure your home has effective ceiling insulation.